Thursday, March 24, 2022

Perfect Remains and Perfect Prey by Helen Fields
{Books 1 and 2 of the DI Luc Callanach series}

Perfect Remains is the first book in the D.I. Callanach series. You are introduced to DI Luc Callanach, a French-Scottish detective newly arrived at the police department in Scotland.  His counterpart is DI Ava Turner who has been with the agency for a long time.  I love both characters and it will be interesting for me to see relationships develop from the beginning of the series.

On a remote Highland mountain is the body of a woman burning.  The killer is crafty, intelligent and mentally deranged.  If you are faint of heart be warned this is not a cozy mystery.  Edinburg experiences the abductions of more women and the race is on to find them alive.

How I discovered this author: I started with book seven titled One for Sorrow and I liked the action and character interactions. Had I noticed it was #7 in a series I might not have requested the book from Netgalley...but I'm glad I did.


Perfect Prey is book two in the series. Callanach and Turner continue to investigate murders and the support team of officers get more page time.  I like how the characters are described and I found myself hoping to learn more about officers Tripp, Lively and Salter. The author makes the characters come alive, makes them quite real for the reader.

This series of murders targets people who work in a health care setting or a position to assist those less fortunate.  There is a librarian, a pallative care nurse, a primary school teacher and a worker from the homeless shelter. The murders are well planned and quite gruesome; as I said about the first book, not for the faint of heart.  Think more of the Hannibal serial killer scenarios. It's as DI Alan Banks series meets Galbraith's ruthless killers.  

It's not all police work though - the personal lives of the detectives come into play as well.   Well written and if you like police procedurals you'll like this series.  The setting is Edinburgh Scotland.

Sharing with Joy's Book Blog for British Isles Friday.




2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great cast of characters. And, you have a few more books to enjoy before catching up with the series! I always like that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, the scenarios can be brutal but I am loving the cast of detectives. It is indeed cool to have so many books lined up in the series.

      Delete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...