Monday, March 22, 2021

Mr. Nobody by Catherine Steadman


8640CED1-57A7-4386-A2FA-BF0D27EA2B96

Dr. Emma Lewis is a 30 year old neuropsychiatrist living in London. She is offered the case of a lifetime, one which could make her career.  A well respected doctor in her field offers her the case of Mr. Nobody.  The man was found on a beach, drenched to the skin and having no apparent memory of who he is or where he is from. Could this be an actual rare case of fugue?

If you recall, back in 2005 there was a similar real case called The Piano Man, the circumstances of his case very similar and probably (in my opinion) gave our author the inspiration for this story. True story you may read by clicking the hyperlink above.

By page 76 the plot dances around a previous incident with Emma and her family, one so bad her family needed to be relocated and given new identities. As a reader I think it would have been better to reveal what her horrific experience was much earlier in the book. You learn why at page 200+

Anyway, she decides, against her brother`s advice, to return to Norfolk as it is a  career changing case. Also weird was a government agency did an intense background check on her, knows her identity and why she left Norfolk 14 years ago.  Lots of mystery about the government agency and what happened to Emma and her family. She was required to sign a confidentiality contract before proceeding. Hmmm…..they must know or suspect something about this Mr. Nobody.

I ask, if they wanted HER in particular why not relocate the man with fugue to a London hospital where Emma Lewis is working and reduce risk of her former identity revealed near her childhood home? Logical question.

The psychological mystery does wrap up with a few twists that were nicely incorporated.  The mystery man knows so much about Emma already although they’d never met.You have to suspend disbelief on some scenes, I wont give spoilers, but it is a decent enough mystery to make me look for her other publications.  This one is her second book.

Coming up next is a review of her latest book The Disappearing Act.

Catherine Steadman is an actress based in North London, UK, and the author of Something in the Water. She has appeared in leading roles on British television as well as on stage in the West End. In 2016, she was nominated for a Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her performance in Oppenheimer. She is best known in the United States for her role as Mabel Lane Fox in Downton Abbey.

Sharing with Joy for British Isles Friday

embroiderys

4 comments:

  1. Mr. Nobody sounds good. I absolutely LOVE the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I enjoy her work and there are three books out so, guess I will read her first publication next.

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of the premise and the cover but I'm not sure this one is for me. I hate when information isn't revealed until way late in the book. I do love an amnesia case though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, amnesia cases are great in a plot. I liked this better than her last book Disappearing Act which I will post today.

      Delete

Getting current here on my February books.........

It's been a while since I book blogged...burnt out on the food blogging but books have always pulled me back to the keyboard.  Here are ...