Tuesday, June 30, 2026

Coffee, seafood and books

Well here we are at the end of  June.  It's been a month that seemed to both drag by and go fast all at once, depending what was going on.  That's a conundrum.

Here are a few highlights. Coffee.  My husband has mastered the espresso machine and it's like a chemistry set with the weighing of beans, getting the correct temperature of water and ordering beans roasted on specific dates.  Too complicated for me but he loves it.  And I am enjoying the flat whites and cortdas.

Lunch out at The Wharf for our anniversary. Grilled shrimp, hush puppies and Gouda cheese grits.



Currently reading Believe: The Untold Story Behind Ted Lasso by Jeremy Egner



Just finished  Whistler.  One of my favorites for the year. I have enjoyed previous books by Ann Patchett but this one gets 5 stars.


Daphne Fuller and her husband Jonathan are enjoying a day at the Metropolitan Museum of Art when Jonathan notices a man who seems to be following them. When the man is confronted it turns out to be Daphne's stepfather, Eddie Triplett. It had been over 40 years since Daphne had seen Eddie and she loved him with all her heart. The last time she saw him she was 9 years old and they had been in a car accident, Daphne being the one to save them both.

The story weaves in and out of their present, the recollections of the car accident and Daphne and her sister Leda's relationship with their mother Abigail.  There is quite a bit packed into this book.

When Daphne was nine her seven-year old sister Leda had appendicitis and was rushed to the hospital. Eddie took care of picking Daphne up and dropping off some essentials at the hospital for Abigail and Leda.  Then on the way home he took Daphne up to a raspberry farm to go look at the stars.  It was snowy and the car went off the side of the road.  While they were trapped and freezing Eddie told Daphne a story about a woman named Mary Carter and how her horse Whistler had saved her life. It was an intense story and made an impression on Daphne.  

How I grew to love Eddie and his life story, his demeanor and his love for Daphne and her family. There are other important characters  in this story as well, such as Daphne and Leda's father Buddy and some of that back story.  It's not too much information or too many characters.  It all blends smoothly and you will hate putting this book down.  The end chapter was perfect.

The themes of love, forgiveness and trust run through this narrative. This was a buddy read with Susan at The Cue Card. We were lucky enough to get the book at the same time.  Please check out her excellent review :-)


I've a stack of books coming up and plenty of time to read.   I'm in because of the heat and 90% humidity - yuck. It's near 100° F/38 C by noon . If only Shelleyrae would beam me to Australia so I can enjoy winter temps. 😊 Winter clothes are my favorite. 



Linking up with Deb at Readerbuzz for Sunday Salon.

32 comments:

  1. I just read Susan's review of Whistler, and now with your review, I want to drop everything and rush out and get a copy. I absolutely love the premise, and the characters sound rich and nuanced and the story sounds layered. All ingredients for a wonderful story, and Patchett is such a great writer and storyteller. Thanks for a great review.

    I loved Ted Lasso--is the Untold Story behind it worth reading?

    When we first got our espresso maker, my husband grooved on being a barista. Now, 11 years later, we still use it but seem to go out for coffee more than make it at home. That said, I love having it. My daughter made a tiramasu for Father's Day and we were able to easily provide her with the 4 shots she needed for the recipe.

    Happy Anniversary. That meal looks so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, thank you so much for the good wishes. Oh, that espresso maker gets used every day. Not sure if it's a honeymoon period with it but he does make himself a cortada or flat white often.

      The book Believe is certainly for a fan of the show. Just know that it's broken down into chapters talking about the seasons and particular episodes and the format is commentary from all of the actors and writers. Such as, it will have the person's name like this:
      Nick Mohammed/ Nate Shelley: season 1-3 - "It was interesting how the transformation between seasons had Nate go darker..."etc.... I'll do screen shot of it when I review it. I'm enjoying it.

      You will love Whistler!

      Delete
  2. You had me with the title for this post. I love a good coffee. And those cheese grits look super yummy. I don't have them often but love them.

    Whistler is on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok that is top tier elite--having your own personal barista at home!

    That food at the Wharf!!! YUM!!! Where's the Gouda cheese??? Is it that DIP? Gouda cheese dip??? OMG I'm dying. Ok never mind, I see that you said GRITS not dip. Still looks delicious.

    ​There's an untold story behind Ted Lasso??? I'm intrigued!

    ​Thanks for the note on the cute book-themed stationery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, I wouldn't use the machine and would pick up a coffee but he is enjoying it. So that's a win-win. When he was in the hospital last November I used instant Bustelo coffee, lol.

      Yes, grits...the first time I ever had grits I was 26 years old. My southern husband said, try these. OMG. Growing up in Philadelphia I'd never had grits.

      The Lasso book is cool and now I see I wouldn't have minded if I'd bought a used copy from Thriftbooks. It's an interlibrary loan so I have to give it back by July 7. I am a huge Lasso fan. Oh, glad you got the note - that stationary is so cute! It's a reading list!

      Delete
    2. No I get it about THE MACHINE. One of the things I got rid of when I moved back to L.A. was my sister's espresso machine because, #1. I was terrified of the milk steaming contraption and how careful you had to be to make sure it was locked on properly and #2. I'm not messing with that when I can just use Nescafe instant coffee to make an espresso-type cold drink!

      Her machine was OLD so hopefully you don't have to do the steamed milk in such a scary manner anymore, but I still don't want one.

      First time I had grits was in Arkansas and they were disgusting but didn't have anything on them but maybe salt. Second time I had them was part of one of those meal kit things and they had me put seasonings and probably cheese and they were tasty. So, all depends on how you flavor up them grits, right?

      31 days til Ted Lasso S04 | E01

      Delete
    3. Oh, Jinjer...that machine is waaaay complicated and the milk steaming scares me but I never deal with it. I had to laugh because i am like you, instant Bustelo for me when he was in the hospital or when we worked and he traveled.

      Now I want cheese grits again! Just reading your response about them. Ok, ust get grits and cheese!

      Delete
  4. How nice that your hubby is making those great coffees. We had an espresso machine, and Rod learned how to make a few drinks, but we eventually went back to our pour-over method and gave the machine to our nephew. So glad to know that Whistler is such a winner. I'll come back and read your review once I've read the book. I think I'll splurge and buy a copy since it's bound to be a keeper. Oh, and cheesy grits. Love them! I make a shrimp (with bacon and sauted mushrooms) with cheesy grits every now and then. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to have your very own coffee shop at home! Your anniversary lunch looks delicious. I can't eat the shrimp but I'm a big fan of hush puppies and cheesy grits - especially Gouda cheesy grits. We are about to start Ted Lasso. I can't believe it's taken us this long to get to it! I'm also really glad to see your thoughts on it as well as Whistler. Whistler is high up on my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it is nice to be offered a vanilla latte or flat white and I do absolutely nothing, just say yes please!

      Do you have a seafood allergy? Funny thing is I can eat cooked shrimp but I can't peel raw shrimp. I get this awful rash on my hands and neck.

      Loved Whistler. It's a good story and the end is great.

      Delete
  6. I’d happily do so if I could, though it’s actually been surprisingly sunny and warm here today (78F) for the middle of winter, not as warm as there of course. They are predicting days of rain next week though.
    I am interested in the Whistler and I hope you enjoy Believe.
    Have a wonderful week, and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, that would be my ideal mode of travel, teleporting. We want to see places but hate the long ar trips and airline flights.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like the Expresso machine has just the right concoction to get you through the morning. And nice job on the review. Someone else thought Daphne & Eddie were going to have some illicit rendezvous ... which would be too weird but it does feel a bit like that when Jonathan goes away. Still it's better to get the mind out of the gutter. Maybe too much Caro Burke thinking, lol. Avoid the heat ..... I'll send you some halestones ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the espresso machine has been great but I personally would never use it. I like the drinks though. Thanks, about the review. i didn't want any spoilers or make it too wordy.
      Halestones?! We need a happy medium on this weather!

      Delete
  8. The title of this post is just the correct one for me. I love all three.
    The Ted Lasso book is on my wishlist now. We absolutely loved the series.
    And as to a coffee maker, we have a machine that just requires to press a button and you get anything you like, ordinary coffee, espresso, latte, cappucino, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marianne, I would not have felt cheater if I'd spent money on this Lasso book, I am a big fan. Almost dne and I need to get it back to the library as it was an interlibrary loan. But if I ever see it at a reasonable price I may buy it.

      Your coffee maker sounds like one I could get into, if I were on my own. But he loves the chemistry of the process so it's a win for me :-)

      Delete
    2. Since this is an English book, I cannot get it from the library. It's only a small one and they don't do any inter-library loans, even then it might be difficult.
      It's not out in pb, yet, I prefer them, for the price and for the weight.
      As to our coffee maker, I must say, hubby does all the maintenance thought it's not as hard as with the espresso machines I know.

      Delete
    3. Marianne, honestly I don't go to nay trouble for coffee if he was not around for whatever reason, but he loves the chemistry of it.
      It would be good to preview the Believe book beforehand. I will add some photos of the format when I write it up,

      Delete
  9. A friend, who isn't a book blogger, recommended Whistler, so that's on my list, too.
    We're in a thunderstorm right now which is going to cool us off, a little, for the next few days. It's been pretty oppressive around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I think you will like Whistler. Especially if you ahve enjoyed Ann Patchett's books before.
      Oh my, summer is so brutal this year and i think it will only get worse each coming year. Glad you had some respite from it with a storm.

      Delete
  10. These are all good things, really good things, I think. I would love to have a barista at my house, bringing me special coffees (though I admit that my husband, who does not drink coffee (!) makes me coffee every morning). I got on the waiting list for Whistler a little late and it has not arrived for me here yet. I'm glad to see how much you loved it, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, You will love this Patchett book! I check the library site just about every morning to see what they have posted in the Coming Soon category. That means they are preordering and I usually place a hold on the book then.

      Delete
  11. I miss my winter clothes - and winter weather! LOL. I am not a hot temps girlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Erin, I am right with you. I love the colder weather and we have often talked about moving north. But...here we are.

      Delete
  12. Happy anniversary! Anniversary dinner looks wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was really cold here today! I will blow some of our winter wind your way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved Whistler, too! Ann Patchett can do no wrong in my opinion. I understand she narrates the audio version herself, so there will likely be an audio reread in my future. It's been unusually hot here, too, even close to the coast. I am not a fan. Belated happy anniversary to you and Doug. The seafood lunch looks delicious! I wish someone in my household had the patience and desire to master a real espresso machine. We got a Lavazza a couple of years ago that makes espresso, cappuccino, etc. with k-cup like pods, but it's not quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I thought Whislter was one of her best novels. Thanks for the anniversary wishes. It's gone by fast...I can't believe it.
      It's not all great on that machine though. He is enjoying it so far but man...the weighing of beans, the dates the beans need to roasted before he grinds them, it's not my thing but the coffee is good.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

Saoirse is engaging and Ivan Ilyich dies

It's been a week of storms and reading. Last Friday we had plans to pick up takeaway and watch a movie.  A big storm blew in rapidly wit...