Sunday, September 13, 2026

A fractured marriage, classical musicians and trip to the nursery

Hello friends.  What is going on in your part of the world?  I have been filling my time reading, walking around a nursery looking at plants and looking forward to a trip next month to see family. 

One of my latest books was a nonfiction by Belle Burden titled Strangers.  This was a buddy read with Susan at The Cue Card  and also meets one of my nonfiction challenge categories hosted by Shelleyrae at Book'd Out. (published in 2026)


While I knew going into this book it was a memoir that mostly concentrated on Belle Burden's divorce, there was something a bit disingenuous about the reporting of "events" in my opinion.

I have a long review and more thoughts about this fractured relationship on Goodreads. If interested click HERE to read.    My rating is a solid 3.5 stars. The writing was good and only a few times did I think it came across as whiney. 

Anyone who has read in the beginning or the book flap knows the premise. Belle and James are hunkering down in isolation during Covid at their Martha's Vineyard home when Belle gets a text from a stranger.  "Your husband is having an affair with my wife"...whaaat?  Terrible way to find out about infidelity.  James confirms it's true, states the affair has gone on one month and it's over.  Belle double checks with the unknown wronged husband to see if that time frame is accurate...because that seemed to make a difference to her...the time frame. James states it's nothing Belle did or didn't do and he's sorry.

Then, an about face  over night with James' saying he isn't happy and turns icy cold telling her he will file for divorce. 

"Without warning or explanations, her husband of twenty years announced he was leaving her."  Suddenly he was a stranger to her. As readers, are we now prepared to hate on James.  I'm not totally convinced we have all the facts.  Again, if you want to read the longer review check it out on Goodreads.

📚📚📚📚

The next book is Mozart in the Jungle by Blair Tindell.  We watched all four seasons of the series on Amazon and I wanted to compare the book. Turned out the book is very different. Barely anything in common with the show but there are a couple of overlaps. I'll add a short review this week.


Watching/ Mozart in the Jungle on Amazon Prime. We enjoyed the orchestral scenes and look at the lives of some of the celebrated veteran musicians.  There are behind the scenes with scheming, sex, drugs and the relationships in addition to the concerts and practices for the orchestra..  They had guest appearances in later seasons such as violnist Joshua Bell and pianists Emanual Ax and Lang Lang. Bernadette Peters was a hoot in this show. This is not a documentary, fictional but loosely based on some true scenarios.


Lucky was also a hit for us.  This is a crime thriller with loads of action and lots of twists. The end of this - wow! Timothy Olyphant, Annette Benning and the star Anya Taylor-Joy played off each other well. This is wrapped up in one season and based off a book by Marissa Stapley. 


I leave you with a photo of one of the resident kittens at the nursery.  This guy is very curious and has loads of personality.   He is interested in Loki and makes careful approaches while his siblings flee as soon as they see my big-eared pup.



Linking up with Shelleyrae at Book'd Out for the 2026 Nonfiction Reading Challenge. Category: Published in 2026

Also sharing with Deb at Readerbuzz for Sunday Salon.


20 comments:

  1. It’s seems I had more sympathy for Belle than you did, though I don’t disagree that her financial worries were over exaggerated. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    I haven’t seen anything about Lucky, I’ll have to look it up.
    Have a wonderful reading week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, if you like a fast paced show Lucky will fit the bill.

      Oh, I had some sympathy for Belle as she felt blindsided. Twenty years is a long time in a relationship, especially if you feel like you are always in sync. One of the things that turned me off was telling us readers she may lose her homes and elicting sympathy where there was no threat. Then there were other things exaggerated but I know I am in the minority with my rating.

      Delete
  2. I know Strangers is a popular read, but it hasn't been on my radar. The garden center kitten is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, the kitty checks us out everytime we go. I bought some plants and hoped to get some gardening in out front but it's in the high 90s again this week. Ugh.

      Check out reviews on for Strangers on Goodreads if you like memoirs. It's a mixed bag of opinions.

      Delete
  3. I probably won't get around to reading Strangers. Lately, I can't get into books that are too bleak, and this one sounds a bit bleak. Look at that kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, the writing was well done but I would encourage you to read other reviews. Some of my book friends liked it more than I did 🙂. Its just my opinion.
      Oh yes, that kitty has personality!

      Delete
  4. Love the picture of the garden center kitty! Rover would be thrilled - he adores cats and is sure they're all his best friends. They frequently do not agree with that though. Strangers doesn't sound like one that I will pick up but it does sound interesting. It definitely seems to be getting a lot of discussion going which is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, that cat is a star in the nursery and there are so many cats roaming around there. I think it's cool they take care of homeless kitties and they also serve as good mousers.

      Strangers is indeed getting a lot of discussion, reminds me of the discussions for Eat, Love Pray among other popular books where readers have definite opinions.

      Delete
  5. cuuuuute kitty!!! Where you going to visit family at?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, we love seeing the cats at the nursery. There are a couple others in that one garden shop on premises but they are more shy of Loki. Elsewhere there are adults cats roaming around or sitting in the sun.

      Our son lives in Nebraska and we havn't seen him in 2 years so I am super excited. We miss him.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Nebraska! A change of scenery from Florida. How did your son end up there and does he like it? I've never been to Nebraska so I have no concept of it. I imagine ranches. Enjoy your visit!!!

      Delete
    3. Jinjer, our son moved from Florida when his then-wife got a job in Omaha, near her best friend. Then they got divorced and he moved south to Lincoln, loves it there. It's flat for sure! We haven't seen him or our granddaughter in 2 years so I am looking forward to it!

      Delete
  6. We watched Mozart in the Jungle, all four seasons, and really enjoyed it. I had heard it was nothing like the book, so decided to give it a pass.

    Strangers is not for me, though I did enjoy your review.

    I've been wondering about Lucky, but not sure I want the tension of a thriller right now.

    Enjoy your trip to see family!

    The kitten is adorable. We have a black kitty to go with our black lab, and she is feisty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jane, we also enjoyed the Mozart series, especially the orchestra playing and some of the back story scenes. Yeah, skip the book....it barely has anything to do with the series and I see now how the author burned some bridges with this book.

      Lucky was full of action and the plot was good. There is violence but lots of skillful plot twists.
      Can't wait to go on the trip, it's been too long since we've seen our kiddo and granddaughter.

      Delete
  7. Cute kitty picture. All nurseries should be so lucky as to have cats. I must say I haven't heard of Mozart in the Jungle -- neither the book or series ... so I must be under a rock. I will see if we get the series. You make good points about the Belle Burden book but it seems I liked it a bit more than you did. It is squirm-worthy that she put it out for public consumption -- it is ballsy in that way. She was pretty vulnerable ... and went thru the ringer. It opened my eyes a bit ... liked seeing how the other half lives ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the nursery is so cool as they have adult cats roaming about, sitting in the shops and one in particular is so curious about Loki. Follows us around when we are browsing.

      I see from Goodreads reviews that many people liked Strangers but there is also a great number of reviews who did not. The writing was good so no argument from me on that aspect.
      On to the next book!

      Mozart in the Jungle is an older show and I'm not sure how I stumbled on the title.

      Delete
  8. I haven't been ignoring you, I promise! :) When we're camping, not only do I not read a lot, I often forget to look at blogs. I keep up with emails and social media somewhat, but I try to enjoy being out in nature and relaxing with my husband. But we have some down time today since it's a little drizzly outside. I think fall has arrived in Oregon.

    I'm on the fence about reading Strangers. I love a good memoir, but having gone through a divorce due to infidelity, I'm not sure if this one's for me.

    Wasn't Lucky a great series?! I would love to see a second season. If you haven't watched Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, we just watched it (on Netflix) and thought it was pretty good. Based on a true story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Les, I didn't think you were ignoring me :-) I'm glad you are getting out campng and enjoying nature. I think we just got too big a rig after a while and it was a pain to go out. Should have kept it smaller.

      I wish Lucky would have a second season but last I read the series was done. It's based on a book so, I'd be surprised if they do another season. We own The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare, love it. If you like that, try In the Gray with Jake Gyllenhaal and Henry Cavill. Lots of action and those two really play off each other.

      A lot of people like Strangers and feel for Belle. It just didn't hit me the same way, and I have also been divorced so there was a bit of perspective on her exaggerations, in my opinion.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the recommendation for In the Gray. Sounds good!

      Yeah, a smaller RV makes it so much easier to be spontaneous. We've enjoyed this current trip (heading home tomorrow), and I've already got another planned out for October. That one's just a couple of days shy of two weeks. It will be fun to visit some familiar spots, as well as some new places. Fingers crossed the weather is nice. You never know what it's going to be like in October!

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!

🥀 Flowers, allergies and a nonfiction to share....<br></br>Homeless by Liyana Dhamirah<br>{2026 Nonfiction Reading Challenge}</br>

I had an appointment at an allergy clinic this week to see if I am allergic to seafood, crustations or mollusks.  Big surprise - I am not al...