Friday, August 6, 2021

The Enigma Game by Elizabeth Wein

The Enigma Game is a historical fiction set in the WW II time period in Scotland and England.  I read the review at Joy's Book Blog and this interested me enough to request it from the library. 

From the book jacket:

Facing a seemingly endless war, fifteen-year-old Louisa Adair wants to fight back, make a difference, do something--anything to escape the Blitz and the ghosts of her parents, who were killed by enemy action. But when she accepts a position caring for an elderly German woman in the small village of Windyedge, Scotland, it hardly seems like a meaningful contribution. Still, the war feels closer than ever in Windyedge, where Ellen McEwen, a volunteer driver with the Royal Air Force, and Jamie Beaufort-Stuart, a flight leader for the 648 Squadron, are facing a barrage of unbreakable code and enemy attacks they can't anticipate. Their paths converge when a German pilot lands in Windyedge under mysterious circumstances and plants a key that leads Louisa to an unparalleled discovery: an Enigma machine that translates German code.

I don't often quote from the jackets but this summed it up better than I could.  The characters are engaging and I loved Louisa and Ellen.  The plot development was perfect, fast paced enough to keep me turning the pages.  Also, the description of Scotland the inn where they are staying is so vivid I could see myself at a table enjoying a pint.

This is the second book by Wein which follows Code Name Verity but it can be read out of order.  Much thanks to Joy for introducing me to this author.

Sharng with Joy's Book Blog for British Isles Friday and Marg at The Intrepid Redaer for the 2021 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge









7 comments:

  1. So is it a sequel of sorts? Sounds good regardless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I read done of the characters in Code Name Verity are in this book, but it can be read as a stand-alone. I can’t wait to read the first one.

      Delete
  2. Somehow I had completely forgotten about Code Name Verity. I really wanted to read that one years ago and then somehow forgot. I'm glad to see they can be read out of order. This one sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it's lengthy but you get so absorbed with the characters you'll hate putting it down. I'd like to get the first book now but it will wait as I have some bookish obligations :0)

      Delete
  3. I'm not a huge historical fiction fan, but I've had Code Name Verity on my list for a while.

    I thought book #2 in the Verity series was Rose Under Fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I just checked and you are correct! I think I must have misinterpreted that about characters from Verity being in this book, thought it was #2

      Delete
    2. Tina -- I'm so glad that you enjoyed this book!

      Tina and Vicky -- the timeline order of the books and their publications are different. Code Name Verity was published earlier. The Enigma Game was published later but is a pre-quel to Code Name Verity.

      Assuming GoodReads has this right, the series time line is The Pearl Thief, The Enigma Game, Code Name Verity, and Rose Under Fire. The publications were Code Name Verity, Rose Under Fire, The Pearl Thief, and The Enigma Game.

      Black Dove, White Raven is in same genre but doesn't have overlapping characters. A good one if you like the flying aspects of these novels.

      Delete

Getting current here on my February books.........

It's been a while since I book blogged...burnt out on the food blogging but books have always pulled me back to the keyboard.  Here are ...