Friday, July 26, 2024

The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater

In the past I liked perusing  The Kitchen Diaries by Nigel Slater .  It's been a while since I picked it up to read about a month in his life.  His thoughts on the London weather, his garden, the informal get-togethers he hosts and of course - recipes. One thing I love about this book is the diary format.  

One year I had planned to read through, month by month, and perhaps try a recipe or two.

It didn't pan out for as my proposed annual project. Alas.

So here I am, picking it up again as I am reading Claire Messud's tome This Strange Eventful History.  I needed something completely different to read at the same time, something without plot so I wouldn't be juggling two different stories/character sets.



This book has gorgeous photos and if you like a diary format with a foodie emphasis, you'd enjoy this book.  I’ve started reading July for now :-)


8 comments:

  1. This looks like a beautiful book and sounds like a perfect companion read for This Strange Eventful History. I probably won't get to it until late September or October, but am curious to hear how you're liking it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, this is a nice book that I like to look through now and again. The climate is so different in England than northern Florida so sometimes the ingredients and recipes don't work for me. But many do :-)

      The Messud book is very confusiing at first. So many characters, so much going on. By the time that section was done it picked up with some of the characters roughly 5 years later. Still reading though!

      Delete
  2. I had completely forgotten I had this one lurking in my shelves. I will have to pull it out and pretend like we are currently living in an English climate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I am indeed pretending that now !

      Delete
  3. How old is that book? It looks like a nice hardcopy with good photos. Seems like some good recipes ... I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, It was first published in 2005 by Fourth Estate. There have been a few reprinting and different covers but I specifically wanted this cover. It's very good quality, the English printing is anyway.

      Delete
  4. That is a beautiful book! I love when recipe books are organized by season. This sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, it's a beauty. The quality is good and I have always enjoyed Nigel Slater's column in the Guardian. This is a nice diary with a huge foodie emphasis.

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

<i>Crocktoberfest!</i>

I'm taking a break from the book talk today to share some slow cooker recipes. Jinjer told me about CrocktoberFest!  Here are a couple ...