Saturday, July 20, 2024

Ask Again, Yes and The Half Moon by Mary Beth Keane

 I can't believe I didn't post this.  Well, I did on Goodreads but wanted to record it here as well.  It's one of my favorites from my Twenty Books of Summer event.

A+ 5 Stars

The title is a nice nod to James Joyce's tome Ulysses.  Molly Bloom's rambling " ...and I asked him with my eyes to ask again yes and he then he asked me would I say yes to say yes my mountain flower..." That 700 page tome was one I had in English Lit class at university over 30 years ago :-)

Anyway.....

I absolutely loved this book and read it any chance I had. It starts in the 1970s with NYPD rookie police officers Francis Gleeson and Brian Stanhope. As they are patroling a call comes through about a robbery. They rush to the scene finding the owner of the bodega dead, blood all over him. Gleeson apprehends the suspect. It's the start of a partnership and good careers for Stanhope and Gleeson and, what you would initially think, a great friendship.

Both marry, have children, live next door to one another in a smaller town just outside the city. The neighborhood children had the kind of upbringing I had - kids running around across the lawns, riding bikes, catching fireflies and having birthday parties at each other's homes.

Ideal. Except there isn't an easy friendship and then there is a tragedy so great it shapes the lives of everyone in both the Stanhope and Gleeson familes permanently.

The story is told over a 40+ year timeline and from different perspectives. Such an excellent story. Themes of love, forgiveness, tragedy, mental illness and more.

This is an author new to me and I would group this story with Claire Lombardo's The Most Fun We Ever Had and Ann Napolitano's Hello Beautiful. A+ 5 Stars

******************

Next up was Keane's newst publication - The Half Moon



The Half Moon is a bar. The story is about Jess and Malcolm with The Half Moon figuring in prominently.   This story is ever evolving about their relationship, the love as well as the fractures as time goes on.  I see both sides of their stories.  Sometimes one is being unreasonable, letting pride overcome working things out.  As I read I found myself taking sides. I'll be Team Malcolm then switch to Team Jess and then ... neither one. 

You'll read how head-over-heels in love Jess was with Malcolm and vice versa. The initial thrill of being together, then the reality of marriage, the constant doctor appointments, IVF treatments and disappointments for seven years. Malcolm trying to keep the bar in the black and run his business.  It's mostly his happy place.

I can't enumerate the times I wondered WTF was going on with this relationship, if you could call it that.  I will say it took fortitude to finish the book, it was like an accident where you can't look away. About the 75% mark things started happening at a rapid progression.  

This book has more ruminations and observations from each character than dialogue between them and others.  There IS dialogue and you are in the moment for it.  I don't regret reading this book but I will say I loved Ask Again, Yes and this didn't meet that bar.  

My opinion - I am not recommending reading it or passing.  Keane is a good author and I will be reading another of hers next month.

Also on tap next month is a buddy read for the book September by Rosamunde Pilcher 😊📚

Sharing with Deb at Readerbuzz for Sunday Salon.

24 comments:

  1. These books both sound good . I’ve read Ask Again, Yes by Keane and enjoyed it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ask Again, Yes was my first book by this author, that was a winner :-)

      Delete
  2. I liked Yes, Ask Again Yes, too. Though the story has sort of faded in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I have another of her books ready for next month called The Walking People. I'm looking forward to that one.

      Delete
  3. Great reviews, especially Ask Again, Yes. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, hope you have a wonderful reading week!

      Delete
  4. Ulysses is a book that deeply intimidates me. I would love to try it, but I'm sure that I'd never make it through the book.

    A five-star read for Ask Again, Yes? And a comparison to the work of Ann Napolitano? That is high praise! So glad to see how much you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I wouldn't try Ulysses again if you paid me, that was required in college for my major! It's impressive but man... I had another professor who was all into Joseph Conrad and that's all we read.

      I did enjoy Keane's book very much and hope to read more.

      Delete
    2. It *is* impressive! But good to know that it's not a pleasure trip of a read.

      Delete
  5. Ask Again, Yes sounds amazing. It's nice to find those books that you can't stop reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, it's been a awhile since I had a book I couldn't put down....and neglect housework and everything else!

      Delete
  6. That's fun to find a new to you author to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, it is a blast when they have many books out so I have an instant reading list.

      Delete
  7. Glad you enjoyed Ask Again Yes, though the second novel seems like a miss. Sometimes that happens with our favorite authors, but we keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, so true. If I have a favorite I always give their other books a chance.

      Delete
  8. I was thinking of September by Pilcher, myself! I love her writing, and what a perfect fit for the month ahead…soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellezza, you can't go wrong with Pilcher and I love her big fat books the best. Coming Home and Shell Seekers are my favorites.

      Delete
    2. Those are my favorites, too.

      Delete
  9. Ask Again Yes sounds good. I'd been wondering what the heck it's about ,so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, I liked this one a quite a bit, it's long but I like how the life stories played out.

      Delete
  10. I gave Ask Again, Yes a 4.5/5 rating. It was so good on audio and I need to remember to recommend it to my book group so I can read it again (in print) next year. I'm sorry the Half Moon was a disappointment. I'll skip that one. Looking forward to re-reading September!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, that would be a fun one to read for a book club. Half Moon wasn't a huge disappointment but there I think it could have been shorter in some situations. Get to the point earlier. Looking forward to September as well! Looks like this latest Claire Messud novel will be all I get through in July. It's huge. And detailed!

      Delete
  11. We live in the south becaus cold makes are faces hurt. We just have to remember that when we are being carried off by mosquitoes and it's a billion degrees!
    Both of these look interesting. I'm not sure either is really for me but I am curious about them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, you said it! It does hurt my face when it's cold and I need to remember that when I am hating on the humidity :-)

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

Fall reading and list making

First off, a shout out to ShelleyRae at Book'd Out .  I haven't seen you post in a while, you've been in my thoughts and I miss ...