Thursday, August 27, 2026

Women in Translation month and Souvlaki :-)

 August is Women in Translation Month and I had a few titles in mind but only managed one book.  Maybe next year I can organize a better plan with the titles I have noted.  Check out the link and read more about this annual global event.


A favorite of mine is Valérie Perrin and I have her newest book Tata translated by Hildegarde Serle .  She isn't everyone's cup of tea but she is mine. I've read three of her previous publications.


Her books start slowly but as the characters and stories weave together there are solid connections. Stories within stories. Agatha is one of our main characters, a film writer and quite famous in France and the U.S. She receives a call from the police in France informing her Aunt Collette has died. Impossible, she says, as she buried her aunt three years ago. Positive identification reveals it truely is her aunt.  So who is buried in Collette's grave?

"The captain from the gendarmerie told me they’re going to compare Colette’s DNA with mine, and they’ll be exhuming ‘the person.’” “It’s not right to disturb the dead,” Adèle whispers. “But we need to know the truth.”

By the 65% mark revelations unfold. For me, her books are like eating a piece of luscious cake and saving  that icing until last. It unfolds. It comes together and there's the big finish.  The friendships from Agatha's past in the small French town are renewed and she has so much support.  You get the friends' stories as well and there were many surprises. I enjoyed the book.  That said, my favorites by Perrin are Three and Fresh Water for Flowers.

Foodie stuff / I modified a Skinnytaste recipe for Chicken Souvlaki and we loved it. First we tried stuffing it into the warm pita pockets. What a mess, especially after the tzatziki was added on top.  Like a messy taco.


Then we just piled the chicken, garlic and onion mixture over the salad mix.  This works out much better. Very good and we will have it again sometime.



Coming up I will do a roundup of my summer reading goals and see how many I finished. Plan a good list to focus on for Fall.

Last post I made compared two teachers from books on my Classic Club list. Jean Brodie and E.R. Braithwaite.  🏛📚

Loki says hi.  My reading buddy here having his snack.


Sharing with Sunday Salon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting!

Women in Translation month and Souvlaki :-)

 August is Women in Translation Month and I had a few titles in mind but only managed one book.  Maybe next year I can organize a better pl...