Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Beyond the Olive Grove by Kate Hewitt

 

The description of this historical fiction grabbed me right away.  An old house in Greece, a family secret and a change to start over in another country. I've enjoyed books by Kate Hewitt before but this one is a bit different, a literary fiction which I very much enjoyed.

This novel is told in a dual timeline: In present time we read Ava's story. Her grandmother Sophia died and left her an old farmhouse in Greece. Ava is having trouble in her marriage and has recently suffered a tragedy.  She decides to leave England and move to Greece temporarily. She wonders why she left England for a place where she doesn't know anyone to restore a farmhouse no one had lived in for over 60 years.

Ava's grandmother Sophia never spoke about her ancestry or her life during WW II so there are plenty of secrets to unravel.

Sophia's story starts in 1942 in a small village in Greece.  You will read more about her family and their sacrifices from food shortages and fear of the Nazi's invading their village.  Sophia's story is one of bravery and I was happy to see Ava slowly uncover details about her grandmother's past. 

This isn't a fast paced novel and some of the "memories" are rehashed a few time but overall it's a nice historical fiction with a satisfactory ending.

Publication date August 13, 2021 by Bookouture.  Genre: Historical Fiction, Literary Fiction.  Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced reader's copy of this book.  I was not compensated for the review, all opinions are mine.

Sharing with Marg at the Intrepid Reader for the 2021 Historical Fiction Reading Challenge. 




6 comments:

  1. This sounds good to me. I may get a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to read anything on NetGallery as I am battling to keep up with my paper books. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've listened to a Kate Hewitt book and really enjoyed it and this sounds amazing. Pretty much as soon as I read that she was left a house by her grandmother I was sold. Thanks for the heads up that it's a slower read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books in a Greek setting and this one looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greece and family secrets sounds pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this author, but I love inherited houses and the Greek isles.

    ReplyDelete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...