Thursday, June 9, 2022

The No-Show and The Switch by Beth O'Leary

 

I liked this book. The author's first book The Flatshare was a nice easy read, chicklit in my opinion, and I knew I would read another as I like her style. 


This book focuses on two women, both named Eileen Cotton. There's the younger called Leena and her grandmother Eileen. Leena is used ot the fast paced corporate world of London but she is burnt out. After an incident at work she is placed on a two month sabatical so she heads up to Yorkshire to visit her grandmother. Leena has always been close to her grandmother and calls her all the time. 

She is barely on speaking terms with her mother Marion and this puts Eileen (the grandmother) in the middle. This is all a result of Leena's sister dying from cancer and decisions made which Leena couldn't come to terms with. It's all explained.

Eileen is 79 years old but don't think she sits around knitting and is all alone. She is very active and is always trying to get involved in new projects, organizing a festival, helping with crime watch and walking other folks dogs....you get the idea. Leena gets the idea to switch households for the two months as it's obvious both women need a change of scenery. Leena would live in Yorkshire and her grandmother would live in her flat in London.

It's nice to read about older people who had vibrant lives in their youth I was enjoying the parts set in Yorkshire as well and honestly, if I could and I had the physical stamina for those sort of cold winters, I would love to live in that area. 

This is a nice easy read that features love, infidelity, grief and life changes. I would read more by Beth O'Leary as she takes you right into the scenes. Love the descriptive parts about Yorkshire.


The No-Show: This book has quite a few surprises.  It appears Joseph Carter is a scoundrel who is juggling three different women, managing to stand them up on Valentine's Day.  As you start the book you will be supportive of these ladies outing him and possibly getting a bit of revenge. Word of warning, don't make assumptions as this is not a cookie cutter romance template.

This is not a story about a man cheating on his girlfriends.  There is a back story to each of the relationships which the author deftly weaves to a surprising conclusion.

There is heartbreak but I assure you, it won't be a scenario you're expecting. Somehow Beth O'Leary writes a light hearted story while interjecting real life hardships and situations.

There is more than one emotionally significant event to experience here. 

Sharing with Joy's Book Blog for British Isles Friday



11 comments:

  1. These both sound like fun! I have The Flatshare waiting on my kindle so will read that one first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I hope you like it. The last two of her books address real life issues but she blends it in a lighthearted plot.

      Delete
  2. I think I'd enjoy both, but The Switch really caught my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, The Switch is her second book and i do think you'd enjoy it!

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed both of these. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, she surprises me with more serious issues she incorporates. Love her books.

      Delete
  4. These both sound fun -- A light-hearted plot is just what I want sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, I can recommend this author. Love her work.

      Delete
  5. I heard good things about The Flat Share but the premise didn't grab me so it never made it high up on my TBR. The No Show sounds like a book I would absolutely love and the fact you enjoyed it so much definitely sells it! I'm adding that one to my TBR first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant The Switch! The No Show looks good too but The Switch especially appeals to me.

      Delete
    2. You will like all of them, Katherine, but the Switch is very good.

      Delete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...