Sunday, October 10, 2021

Under the Golden Sun by Jenny Ashcroft

 

This historical novel transported me to Ilfracombe and London England, Malaysia and Australia. I will say I enjoyed every bit about this novel from the travel, the character development, the WW II setting and the heartwarming storyline.

The story begins in March of 1941 with our main character Rose headed to London to meet her family for her twenty-fifth birthday. Her parents are in Ceylon but she expects to see her Uncle Lionel and brother Joe.  The war time shortages are apparent with descriptions of mock eggs and chocolate cake.  The cake had prunes and beetroot but when the nation is rationing you celebrate how you can.

Rose is still experiencing grief from a loss and her American fiance Xander isn't exactly the epitome of loving support.  Reading a discarded newspaper on her train to London, Rose, on the spur of the moment, answers an advertisement regarding a young boy who is need of a chaperone to Australia.  Walter aged four is a lonely but bright little fellow and you'll fall in love with him. Rose goes to the house in London to meet the child and this dramatically changes her life. Walter's mother was from Australia and was recently killed in an accident.  

The ship voyage, the strengthening bond between Rosie and Walter and the new family in Australia had me riveted. I loved this book and actually hope the author will add a second book to follow up.  I don't want to see these characters go away! The storyline could be picked up with Rose's life, I'd love to know what happens to Walter and so much more.

Publication date March 15, 2022 by St Martin's Press.  Genre: Historical Fiction.

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced reader's copy of this book.  I was not compensated for the review, all opinions are mine.

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for the 2021 Historical Fiction challenge and Joy's Book Blog for British Isles Friday.






16 comments:

  1. I enjoy historical novels and am always interested in both the time period and Australia! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JenClair, this will check all the boxes for historical fiction and Australia!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Jackie, you get some flavor of the places written about - England, Ceylon, Australia....loved it.

      Delete
  3. Now on order from the library - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, that's great! I am hoping to read more by this author.

      Delete
  4. I'll look forward to reading this book. Hope I can place an order in advance. Thanks for the recommendation. Best wishes, Pauline

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pauline, I hope you enjoy it, I loved the character development.

      Delete
  5. I love books where I'm sad to see the characters go and I love the Australian history. I listened to The Pearl Sister and found the Australian parts of the story the most fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine,. I will give the Pearl Sister a try!

      Delete
  6. This sounds great! I'm looking forward to the publication.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm seeing a lot of Australia these days in historical fiction, which is great because my past reads always seemed to revolve around UK/ US. And I see mention of Ceylon too! Traveling through books is the best. (And thanks for visiting my Historical Fiction post earlier.)
    ~ Lex (lexlingua.co)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lex, I hear abbout new authors/titles through these book challenges and was happy to see yours! Traveling through books IS the best!

      Delete
  8. I read Ashcroft's Meet Me in Bombay earlier this year. There were things about it I liked but the characters were kept apart by amnesia which is such a tired plot device.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CLM, I haven't tried that oone yet but I sure loved this book. I like her style.

      Delete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...