Thursday, January 20, 2022

Trauma: My Life as an Emergency Surgeon by Dr. James Cole

 

This medical memoir by Dr. James Cole drops you into the hectic and unpredictable life of a trauma surgeon.  What the interns and first year residents endure to get through training takes dedication and stamina.  Honestly, I don't know how anyone endures the long hours and work conditions but, thank goodness people like Dr. Cole persevere.

This is a fast paced and realistic accounting.  While I can't abide looking at graphic images of surgery or trauma when watching medical dramas, I could read this - with the exception of cardic section.  That was my real squeamish point in the book, even though other injuries such as a stabbing with a screwdriver, a severe burn patient and gunshots wounds were written in great detail.

Each chapter takes on a different medical emergency.  The crossbow incident was both interesting and sad.  His time spent with Navy SEALS and his deployment to Iraq and Afghanistan were also interesting to me.  


Sharing with
Category: Medical Memoir






7 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty interesting to me! I'd consider reading it at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I enjoyed the book, kept my attention.

      Delete
  2. I think I'd like this since I watch shows like this on tv. I'm not squeamish when reading or watching things like this. I watched a live autopsy before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I like medical shows too. I haven't seen an autopsy but my husband for his work. Before he retired that is.

      Delete
  3. This sounds good, the ER is certainly where the action is. Thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, this book had me turning the pages but it got some poor reviews for grammar or editing. That didn't bother me and I actually never noticed those issues. The scenarios were well laid out and I liked the book.

      Delete
  4. This sounds really interesting. We've spent a lot of time in hospitals but thankfully haven't had to deal with surgeons very often. I can't imagine the amount of pressure this kind of career would involve.

    ReplyDelete

Getting current here on my February books.........

It's been a while since I book blogged...burnt out on the food blogging but books have always pulled me back to the keyboard.  Here are ...