Monday, September 6, 2021

Twelve Patients: Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Dr. Eric Manheimer

 

Life and Death at Bellevue Hospital by Dr Eric Manheimer was a very interesting book and I'm glad I checked it out of the library. We had started watching a series called New Amsterdam which I picked up at the library.  Every epsiode I would see it was based on this book so - I asked for the book after we'd watched two seasons.

In the beginning our author states that Bellevue is the oldest hospital in the country, 275 years old. It's probably the most famous public hospital in United States with many firsts.  It has the distinction of having the first maternity ward, the first pediatric ward, the first C-section - Bellevue's public sanitation program state back to the Civil War.

There are twelve stories about patients and some of them are real heartbreakers, in particular Four Generations and Trauma Detroit. Some of the chapters do go on a bit too long, in my opinion, and many of the stories focus on central American patients and their countries. The disparity of their treatment verses those who are well insured is brought to our attention.

Overall I enjoyed reading this book and loved reading about the dedication of the professionals and their various cases.

Sharing with Shelleyrae at Book'd Out.

Category: Disease/ Medicine


The Nonfiction Reader Challenge hosted by Shelleyrae at Book'd Out.  Check out the sign up post and info HERE. The challenge runs from January 1 through December 31, 2021. You can join in anytime!

6 comments:

  1. I love the New Amsterdam show, one of my favorites. I plan on reading the book but don't know when I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book is on my list and now the show is, too! I'll look for it when we get back... sure hope the library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound interesting. It reminds me of a memoir about a Bellevue doctor I read a number of years ago: http://www.blogginboutbooks.com/2009/09/through-doctors-memoir-bellevue-will.html

    Susan
    www.blogginboutbooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really interesting. I watched a couple of episodes of New Amsterdam and really enjoyed it but haven't continued with the show. I like the sound of the stories and the background information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m sorry it wasn’t as interesting as you would have hoped, thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a book I would like. I will look for it.

    ReplyDelete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...