Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Her Secret War by Pam Lecky

 

Sarah Gillespie is returning home after an evening out, worried she may not arrive before her unpredictable and violent father returns from the pub. 

Her younger sister Maura is waiting and frightened as German planes have been buzzing the area.  The time period is during WW II and Ireland is meant to be neutral but bombs are dropped and her home is destroyed. Sarah is in for heartbreak during the chaos of recovery, people are missing and presumed dead.

Sarah eventually moves to England to stay with her uncle and finds work to help with the war effort.  Her uncle gets her work at a Supermarine factory where Spitfires are manufactured. There are scenes from the countryside and London, espionage is inserted into the storyline but that's the only bit that doesn't seem believeable. 

I liked the characters and the ones you were meant to dislike were well written.  The ending was well done in my opinion and definitely sets it up so a sequel could be in the works.  That said, if it ended with this book you'd probably be satisfied and make your own conclusions about Sarah's future. I would seek out a followup book if there is one.

Publication date is October 14, 2021 by Avon Books UK.  Genre: General Fiction (Adult, Women's Fiction and Historical Fiction.

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced reader's copy of this book.  I was not compensated for the review, all opinions are mine.

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for the 2021 Historical Fiction challenge and Joy's Book Blog for British Isles Friday.




4 comments:

  1. I don't usually read war books but your review makes me think I'd like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks intriguing and really I know very little about Ireland during WWII which is weird because Irish history is something I've really focused on. This sounds like a book I'd like even with the unrealistic bits.

    ReplyDelete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...