Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Reckless Girls by Rachel Hawkins

 

Recently I read The Wife Upstairs and I thought that was a good domestic thriller. As I liked the style of writing I thought I'd love Reckless Girls. I did not. The premise sounded good but I honestly didn't like any of the characters well enough to get invested.

Lux and Nico are two of our main characters and I didn't dislike them but couldn't warm to them. Lux is the narrator of the story.  She meets Nico in San Diego shortly after her mother died.  She's ready for a fresh start and Nico is a charming goodlooking fellow who she decides to follow to Hawaii.

They plan to sail around the world but financial setbacks means they get stuck with menial jobs in Hawaii for a while.  Then Nico gets an offer of big money to sail two young women, Amma and Brittany, to a remote island called Meroe. Lux is invited along by the women and they all get along like a house on fire. The young ladies have big secrets which will be revealed near the end. Anyway, when they get to this remote island there is another couple there. This rich couple who also get along with Lux, Nico, Amma and Brittany.

It had it's twists but I found it anticlimatic. Prepare for some mystery and murder.  If this were my first novel by Hawkins I wouldn't seek out more as I did after reading The Wife Upstairs. Obviously this my opinion as there are planty of 4 and 5 star ratings for this book.  Just didn't do it for me.

Publication date January 4, 2022 by St. Martin's Press.  Genre: General Fiction, Mysteries and Thrillers

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced reader's copy of this book.  I was not compensated for the review, all opinions are mine.

2 comments:

  1. The Wife Upstairs was the only book by her that I enjoyed. I am LOVING the new series you recommended - Helen Fields. I am halfway through her first book in the weries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I’m so glad you like that series! I am getting the first book soon. I ordered it.

      Delete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...