Monday, April 18, 2022

The Banker's Wife by Cristina Alger

 

Annabel Werner is/was an art curator and worked at a museum in New York.  She is married to Matthew who is an investment banker for a large bank which "hides" money for wealthy clients.  Some of the clients would not be accepted by other banks as there are rules about doing business with terrorists and drug lords. Obviously there are secrets going on which he does not share with his wife.  

The deal was they'd live in Europe for a few years while he made a boatload of money and then they'd return to the United States.  Annabel could then go back to work in art galleries.

In the beginning pages, Matthew boards a private jet with a Syrian woman and shortly afterwards, the jet disappears from radar.  It's crashed into the alps and there are no survivors. (This in not a spoiler)

The other major character in the book is an investigative journalist named Marina. Her boss gives her the heads up about a criminal they have been seeking for years.  He had ties to the Swiss bank where Matthew worked. Further complicating Marina's desire to pursue this story is her engagement to Grant.  He is the son of a prominent politican. Her future father-in-law is about to run for president so no scandals are needed. Marina knows she can pass on the biggest story of her career and lead a relaxed pampered life, staying home to organize dinner parties, joining the ladies country club  or she can follow her heart.

I found the story interesting but there was something about Annabel which didn't let me feel sorry for her.  I mean, your husband is killed but you have time to follow up possible clues about the crash and a conspiracy?  That was hard to buy yet plausible as a plot line due to suspicious behavior from Matthew's boss, assistant and a close friend at the bank.

There are many secrets revealed in the plot and you don't know who to trust. Good ending. I was vacillating between 3 and 4 stars and since you can't give half stars I rounded up.  I would read more by this author.

6 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard of this author before. Not sure this book is for me, but I'm glad that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read The Good Widow by Liz Fenton? The sound of this book kind of reminds me of that one - including your thoughts on it. I love this kind of book on audio. A thriller always hooks me in that format. I will have to see if my library has this in audio and if not I might use an Audible credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I don't think I have read this author before but I will chekc it out. Our library has so many books via Kindle so I am getting spoiled that way.

      Delete
  3. I think it would bother me if the wife is investigating her husband's murder so soon after his death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one thing that didn't ring true but we have to suspend disbelief with mysteries sometimes. Overall I liked it.

      Delete

Absolution

Immerse yourself in Vietnam in 1963. There is a marked contrast between the sheltered American compounds and their lives of ease against st...