Tuesday, December 28, 2021

One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle

 

This isn't labeled as a fantasy genre but there is an element of  unintentional time travel in the plot.  Sounds weird, right? What attracted me to this story was a chance to go back in time and meet your mother again when she was young.

Katy is very devoted to her mother Carol and the feeling is mutual.  They are like best friends and so very close.  The story begins with Carol's death and Katy grieving. At the same time Katy was questioning if her marriage to Eric was over so there is a lot of emotional turmoil in her life.

Katy and Carol were meant to take a trip to Italy, the tickets had been purchased months before.  When the tickets arrive Katy decides to go on the trip alone and think about her marriage as well as deal with the grief of losing her mother.  

Something strange happens once she arrives at the hotel. After awakening from a nap, she comes upon her mother in the hotel lobby.  Carol is 30 years younger and Katy thinks she's lost her mind.  Well, wouldn't you?

They strike up a friendship and Katy learns more about her mother and her past, making her evaluate her life a bit differently. 

This is the second book I have read by this author and I liked In Five Years a bit more than this one. I would read more by Rebecca Serle.

Publication date March 1, 2022 by Atria Books.  Genre: Women's Fiction.

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced reader's copy of this book.  I was not compensated for the review, all opinions are mine.

4 comments:

  1. I’m quite intrigued by this premise, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, I’d love to meet my mom when she was only 30!

      Delete
  2. I almost crossed this off my list when you mentioned time travel but this does sound intriguing. I'm not sure I'd really want to meet my mother when she was young but I would love to meet any of grandparents as young adults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it's listed as women's fiction but something quirky happens, thus meeting people from 30 years ago.

      Delete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...