Monday, March 21, 2022

Apples Never Fall by Liane Moriarty

 

I'm not sure I get the reference to the title but I did like the book.  The driving part of the plot starts when Joy Delaney  disappears and her adult children report her missing to the police.

Joy is 69 years old and never out of touch with her family.  She and her husband Stan have a wonderful marriage and are always outwardly affectionate and happy.  So why doesn't Stan report his wife missing after an argument they had? 

Their adult children Troy, Amy, Logan and Brooke meet up have very differing opinions about what they should do about their missing mother.  The character development is well done.  The differences in the children are like night and day and I enjoyed getting to know each of them.

If your mother was missing and her phone was found at home, your father had scratches on his face and it was known they had an fight - what would you do? What would you think?  There is another factor added into the story which complicates things - a young woman named Savannah shows up at the Delaney home late one night.  She has an injury to her face and says her boyfriend hurt her. She stopped and knocked on their door at random, seeking help. As she becomes part of the Delaney's life prior to Joy disappearing, you will wonder if Savannah is more than she seems.

This story has many layers and each unfolds, you glean a better understanding of every characters' fears and hopes.

I still don't understand the apples and the abandoned bicycle or the random man who picked up the bike.  Doesn't matter in the long run but it was puzzling to start the book this way.

4 comments:

  1. I may find a copy of this book, I want to know what happened to the mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on the wait list for the audio at my library so I'm glad to see you enjoyed it. Thanks for the heads up on the confusing elements at the beginning. I could see something like that derailing me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I seriously don't know why it began that way and I am hoping if it's a moment I missed, someone on Goodreads tells me! Great story. I think I will get more of her books.

      Delete

The Road to Dalton by Shannon Bowring and The Empty House by Rosamunde Pilcher

Two books - one very good and one surprisingly bad. The Road to Dalton This story had me captivated by the poetic and descriptive writing.  ...