Friday, May 27, 2022

The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy

 

The setting is Lough Glass in Ireland and it's the early 1950s. The story follows Mary Katherine McMahon's life as a child and the approximately ten years after her mother Helen disappears. It's thought her mother drowned but Mary (known as Kit) worried her mother killed herself.  She had a note from her mother but burned it without reading as if it was a suicide note she couldn't have a church burial.

Kit misses her mother very much and leans on friends and distant family to help her. She gets into a pen pal relationship with a woman named Lena Gray who claims to have known her mother.  There is certainly a surprise lurking for Kit in that relationship!

If you want to submerge yourself into 1950s Irish culture this will be a good book for you. It's dated in references but I liked it. The themes are loss and love.  I liked the comparison of English life vs Irish life from Kit's perspective.
 This is another book I am clearing from the shelves in my mission to read more books from the stacks at home.  It's already in the mail to a friend who may enjoy it!

Sharing with Joy's Book Blog for British Isles Friday and Marg at The Intrepid Reader for the 2022 Historical Fiction challenge.





13 comments:

  1. I like the idea of reading more from one's own shelves and then passing the books on to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I have given quite a bit away excpet those which are very special to me. Let someone else enjoy my books!

      Delete
  2. This sounds very good, and I love books set in Ireland since my mom's family is from there. I like to donate books or send books to someone who thinks they would enjoy it. Keeps my bookshelves from taking over the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I completely understand about the growing bookshelf space !

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure I read this one years ago... can't go wrong with Maeve Binchy! Good luck reading from your shelves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I probably did as well but it's time to clear things out. So true, can't go wrong with Binchy!

      Delete
  4. It does sound interesting and I've seen that British Isles Challenge around, I should do that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, you ought to do it! You don't have to post on Fridays.

      Delete
  5. Maeve Binchy is an author I really want to explore more. I've only read one of her books but I absolutely loved it so I want to read more. I picked up an Imogen Clark on your recommendation and while it wasn't one of your favorites of hers I'm so looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, so glad you have an Imogen Clark book. I signed up for her newsletter and she's a very nice lady.

      Delete
  6. What a great project to clear your bookshelves by reading through them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I want someone else to enjoy these books as well.

      Delete
  7. It's been so long since I read Maeve Binchy

    Thanks for sharing this book with the Hist Fic challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Getting current here on my February books.........

It's been a while since I book blogged...burnt out on the food blogging but books have always pulled me back to the keyboard.  Here are ...