Friday, March 29, 2024

Fresh Water for Flowers by Valérie Perrin

As I finished Valérie Perrin's novel Three this month, I wanted to transfer my review for Fresh Water for Flowers here.  I  read this one last August so if you've followed me on Goodreads you'll have seen it there. 


This was my first book by Valérie Perrin and I look forward to reading more of her work.  I discovered this author through Goodreads and the Women in Translation project which is celebrated in August.

The description for this book states Violette Sousaint is a caretaker at a cemetery in a small town in France. She lives on the grounds, opening the gates in the morning to receive visitors and funerals, caring for the flower and vegetable gardens, closing the gates at night. 

I like the beginnings of each chapter with a the epitaphs:

His life was a lovely memory, His absence a silent agony.

We lived together in bliss, We rest together in peace.

They'll always be someone missing to make my life smile: you.

The epitaphs seem to "ward off the passage of time.  Death begins when no one can dream of you any longer."


"There are more than a thousand photographs scattered across the cemetery. On the day all of those photos were taken, none of the men, women, childen could have thought that that moment would represent them for all eternity.   It was the day of a birthday, a family meal, a walk in the park, at a wedding...."


Violette is a wonderful character.  The chapters will abruptly switch to another timeline where you'll get more of her back story.  She was thought dead when she was born, roused by a nurse yet unwanted by her mother.  She went through life in foster care, hoping to be adopted and belong.  She never was wanted by any family. When she became of age to work, pouring drinks at a local bar she met her husband. The stunningly gorgeous Phillipe Toussaint singled her out and took her home. He may have been a handsome devil but he is also a scoundral. Once they had a daughter it seemed Violette's life was whole as she had what she always wanted - a family.


The back stories are not only of Violette.  The people interred have stories as well.  The visitors to the graves sit with Violette and pour out their hearts.  It's all entwined how a mourning lover still leaves flowers or tokens on a lover's tomb, only to swept away by the widow when she visits. 


A turning point comes when a policeman named Julian Sole arrives to ask questions about Gabriel Prudent, a man his mother Irene wants to be buried with. This man Prudent is a stranger to him but through his mother's journals, Irene and Gabriel's story unfolds in future chapters. 


The story about Violette's daughter will break your heart. As you read you'll find love, hope, sorrow and grief.


This book was touching, moving slowly but not boring, learning about so many people and their stories then wrapping it up with several revelations I never considered.


Perrin's next novel is titled Three, also translated by Hildegarde Serle.


Review coming up.........

10 comments:

  1. I added this one to my TBR because of your Goodreads review. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I hope you like it. I don't think I will be able to wait until August for the Women in Translation event to read her upcoming book. I will get it auto-delivered on publication date.

      Delete
  2. This is waiting on my CT shelf and I'm looking forward to reading it this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I will look forward to hearing how you like it :-)

      Delete
  3. I love this cover. I may love the story more.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very lovely cover. Good story as well.

      Delete
  4. This seems like a gem of an author to find from France. I'm glad you have the link to the women in translation project. I will keep the link. There's more I need to be reading from other parts of the world! I'm glad you liked this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. I don't think I can wait until August for the Women in Translation event to read her next book though. It's publication date is June 4 and i have preordered. I hardly ever preorder! Hope your trip is going well. Please give your dogs an ear rub from me :-)

      Delete
  5. I love the quotes you shared and am definitely ordering this one. I wonder if my mom would enjoy it. Her birthday is coming up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, every chapter had an epitaph and they were so meaningful. Not sure about your mother's book preferences but I really liked it :-)

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

Absolution

Immerse yourself in Vietnam in 1963. There is a marked contrast between the sheltered American compounds and their lives of ease against st...