Wednesday, March 20, 2024

The Women by Kristen Hannah

This was a wonderfully written novel and I am glad I picked this up from the library, even if it was by accident as I meant to cancel the hold.  Having tried two other novels by Hannah which were DNF (Firefly Girls and The Great Alone) I'd decided she wasn't an author I would like to read.  This one hit it out of the park.


It covers so much about the Vietnam war from the outlook of nurse Frances "Frankie" McGraff.  She grew up in California in an affluent family and hadn't encountered hardships in her life.  She was working towards her nursing degree and excelled in her studies, wanted to make a difference. Frankie was naive as she was entrenched in a privileged  society where realties of working class life were never experienced.  All her parents  wanted was for her to get married, have children and be part of the country club group.  Then, when gazing at that wall of heroes in her father's office, her brother's friend asked why there weren't any photos of women there and told her women could be heroes too.

Frankie's brother Finley was about to be deployed to Vietnam and would, one day, earn his place on that "wall of heros," praised for his upcoming military service to Vietnam. Two different standards upheld for sons and daughters.....those will infuriate you when you read how Frankie was treated after her service as a MASH nurse.

I got ahead of myself but that was the beginning.  Frankie was hired as a nurse at a local hospital and despite her excellent skills all they had her do was get water for the patients, empty bedpans and basically be a candy striper.  She ended up joining the Army was sent to Vietnam for a hefty dose of culture and reality shock.

The book is graphic, devastating, tells of the horrific injuries that soldiers - basically teenagers - suffered when they were brought into the MASH unit.  Frankie grew up fast as she experienced what combat nursing entailed, the realities of war and the realization our government didn't share the truth about the war with the public.  They said there weren't any women in Vietman.  They said there were zero casualties for days when Frankie and the other medical personnel saw scores of body bags ready to ship home, held the hands of those who were dying with no expectation of survival.

Returning home, nurses were experiencing PTSD along with the soldiers but they were denied help at the V.A. and support groups because....women weren't in Vietnam. The nurses and the soldiers were treated abominably when they returned home - spit on, called nazis and child killers.  People who had zero idea about the bloody TET offensive, POWs or the hours selfless doctors and nurses worked to save as many boys as they could.

This book is not chick lit - you will read about depression, drug addiction, war and injuries and death sustained.....I am glad I read this one.  It's amazing and near the end, I most certainly had tears in my eyes.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you let me know you were posting again. I didn't know of this site. But I'm glad you're back! We seem to read some of the same women authors. Hannah has much misery in her novels but I'm wanting to read this one all the same. I'm often curious about Vietnam novels and it's interesting that she's brings light the nurses & their contributions there. It seems a page turner. I will get to it but it's popular at the library. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I had tried Firefly Girls and The Great Alone and they didn't appeal. Too much misery and I am glad this one was a standout. that said, I don't think I'll be looking for any of books anytime soon. So many here in the house I would like to tackle.

      If your library has digital books available you might get it that way. Wish I'd read it on Kindle as it's a fat book. Thanks for coming by and connecting!

      Delete
  2. Yay! You're back to blogging! I saw your comment on Susan's post and jumped over here right away. I'm looking forward to reading this book... eventually. I'm really trying to read what I already own and not buy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les....you found me :-) I was missing this particular blog and liked the layout so...here I am after a year+. The way you have been moving your reviews over on your blog inspired me to move some of mine, the ones since I quit. I will do it slowly and do a monthly "reading progress post". Thanks for visiting!!

      Delete
  3. So nice to see you pop up in my feed again!! I just finished a book about Vietnam (The Mountains Sing) too. Glad this one gets your stamp of approval.. I hope to read it later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JoAnn! I will add the Mountains of Sing to my list as well. It's about time for another buddy read!

      Delete
  4. Tina! So good to see you back! I've heard so many raves about this one. I haven't read anything by this author yet but I'm planning on trying something by her this year. This sounds powerful. I'm not sure I'm ready for a subject this grim and complex but it is one I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, thank you...it's nice to book chat again :-) Honestly I have tried two other books of Hannah's and they didn't grab me at all so, guess this was a fluke. It was well written though.

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

Absolution

Immerse yourself in Vietnam in 1963. There is a marked contrast between the sheltered American compounds and their lives of ease against st...