Tuesday, April 9, 2024

I Am a Soldier, Too: The Jessica Lynch Story by Rick Bragg

While I was browsing the nonfiction section at the library I saw this book on the shelf, thought about how long ago Jessica Lynch was rescued from an Iraqi hospital.   Back in 2003 we had tv feed and remember  when breaking news interrupted the broadcast to report the rescue.


The story at the time reported Lynch's fierce fighting, her capture and the dramatic rescue by our elite military forces.  In this book Lynch sets the record straight about how her injuries occurred. She dispelled the stories which called her the "Rambo of the hills of West Virginia" when in fact, she never fired her gun as it jammed.

She was gravely injured by Iraqis and it's amazing she survived at all.

From the book:  "Medical records show what happened in the three hours missing from Jessie‘s memory. Her right arm was shattered between her shoulder and her elbow, a compound fracture, slivers of bone through muscles, nerves and skin, leaving her right hand useless. Her spine was fractured in two places causing nerve damage. This left her unable to control her kidneys and bowels. Her left leg was broken into pieces above and below the knee. Also compound fracture and splintered bone that made a mess of the nerves, and left her without feeling in the limb. "

And yet there was still more damage, both physically and mentally. It wasn't known if she suffered the beatings from rifle butts and kicking before or after she was raped, nor clear why she alone was not killed immediately.  Theory is she was a blonde green eyed female which could be used for propaganda purposes.

At the hospital she was taken care of best they could with the equipment and supplies they possessed.  She wouldn't eat anything but crackers and juice, and only if they opened it in front of her, for fear of being drugged and unable to fight to save her leg.  At one point the doctors wanted to amputate a leg as it was so badly damaged.

Jessica Lynch weighed 76 pounds by the time she was rescued.  Had she been left any longer she would have certainly died, despite the medical attention from kind medical staff.

Lynch did not know the narrative the government released to the news agencies.  

This is a well written book and I'm glad I picked it up.


8 comments:

  1. Ugh. I don't know if I could read this. What a horrific experience. I do love Rick Bragg's writing, though, so I'm tempted. With that said, I was trying to think of what to re-read next month and I may go with All Over But the Shoutin', which I loved when I read it many, many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, it was so well written and I think in the end, you'd like it. Especially if you like Bragg's writing style. What I was after was First Man about Neil Armstong and it's a FAT book. Maybe Kindle for that one!

      Delete
  2. I remember her now. That seems so long ago. Her injuries were so extensive, Ugh. I hope she was able to recover ... and move on from this heart-wrenching capture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I can't imagine the terror she felt, meanwhile the government spinning tales about her and she was unaware.

      Delete
  3. I remember when this happened but I was just out of college with a new job and it was only a passing thought for me as selfish as that sounds. I don't think I ever realized how horribly she was injured. What a terrifying experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it's a well writer bio and you get a good feel for the kind of person is was before she enlisted and then afterwards. Her spirit and positive nature is amazing.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a tough read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I loved the beginning and descriptions of her life growing up. What a supportive community! It was tough in places.

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

April Roundup

Note : I can not comment on WP blogs at this time. Even though I visit and try to comment, it won't work. There is a long winded reason ...