Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Herman Diaz, Mario Batali and Peter Heller

Earlier this month Deb at Readerbuzz posted Armchair Foodie Travel Books which I found interesting.  Several I had previously read but the Batali book about Spain was one I sought out. Luckily the library had a copy.


I will go through this nonfiction while I read Trust by Herman Diaz. Trust is on my fall reading list (which is still shaping up), won a Pulitzer prize in 2023 and is grabbing me from the start. 


Finished last night - The Orchard by Peter Heller was on sale for one dollar for Kindle so I couldn't pass that up. Check that out HERE.  That's a great price for a Peter Heller novel.  I'd told a friend about it but I think this price might only apply to U.S. based accounts.


This is an interesting book as it's told from a woman’s perspective.  All the other books I have read by Heller focus on male characters in a wilderness setting, outdoorsy men who have deep thoughts, some insecurties about life choices/relationships being a key component.  The Vermont setting here features a defunct orchard, nature and living off the land.

There are haunting characters, the mother with a sad and educated background.  Frith is the daughter, named for a character in The Snow Goose by Paul Gallico.

Frith refers to her mother as Haley; this is a bit of a coming of age story.  Something which doesn't usually appeal to me.  Haley is a translater of Chinese poetry and rears her daughter in a wooden cabin with a wood stove for heat and very little money.  Haley and Frith are very well read - anything from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Treasure Island, The Old Man in the Sea, We Die Alone (about the Norwegian commando who outskied a Nazi division)  to Grendel.

There is quite a bit of poetry in this book, there are some wonderful reflective passages from Frith as an adult, an educator who teaches at Amherst, and the memories of her unusal childhood with an amazing woman.

Heller brings you straight into this unusual family situation and pulls at your heartstrings at the end. 4.5 stars 📚

On this rainy day in north Florida I am working on book lists, baking bread and reading of course :-) Hope your week is going well.

Sharing with Deb at Readerbuzz for Sunday Salon.

24 comments:

  1. I definitely need to work on my fall reading list. I'm glad to see how much you enjoyed this Peter Heller book. I think it's an older title, right? That's a great price.

    I do hope you like the culinary road trip through Spain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I am going to enjoy the book about Spain. It's been decades since I have been there but loved every minute of it. The architechture, food, coastal town, Granada...lovely.

      My fall reading list included a couple of books I didn't get to for summer. The Alternatives was high on my list but I recently got it from the library and did not like the style or format. The story sounded interesting to me but I couldn't get beyond the first chapters.

      Delete
    2. I wonder what you think about Trust. I found a copy of it at my friend's bookstore and I couldn't resist buying it. I would love to go to Spain. Let me know if you decide to go back!

      Delete
    3. I started it and i can say if you like a lot of dialogue this might not appeal. It's interesting so far.

      Delete
  2. I've read a few of Peter Heller's books, but have not heard of this one. I looked it up on Goodreads and it looks like it's a "Scribd Original," available on ebook or audio only. Interesting. I wonder why it was never printed?

    Have fun with your fall reading list. I'll probably continue with my summer list once we get home from our trip. I'm reading Billy Summers (Stephen King) and loving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lees, this one was surprising to me to be available at such a low price. It was good, IMO. Looking forard to hearing about yur trip.

      Billy Summers?! I loved that book! I keep picturing Jake Gyllenhall as Billy and I hope they make a min series as they did with King's 11/22/63. Hope you are reading it on a Kindle as it's a fat book!

      Delete
    2. Jake Gyllenhaal would be great as Billy! Nope, no e-reader. It's another fat book, but I'm managing. :)

      Delete
    3. That is a big book. I borrowed it from our library Kindle collection. That would have been a cool buddy read. I am reading Trust which is a big book and just picked up some of my fall reading choices yesterday. Will post it soon. Hope you are having a great time!

      Delete
  3. Great review! I hope you have a wonderful weekend Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far it's nice, we had a break from rain :-)

      Delete
  4. I can't believe The Orchard - which I haven't read - is from the female perspective! Heller has never done much with the women in his books. But this one sounds quite good -- I like the idea of an orchard too and living off the land. I'll give it a go ... but for whatever reason I'm not seeing that sale price from here ... so I'll check for it at the library. I've read several of his books over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it was a surprise and when the start of it only talked about Haley and her daughter Frith I was surprised. The Rosie was introduced and while there were male characters, they didn't play a large role at all.

      Delete
  5. I have been researching food and exercise today, but also plan to start a fall reading list. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I usually need an exercise plan for indoors during summer. Making a reading list is fun, especially if you use it as a guideline and read what you want.

      Delete
  6. I've decided to improve my Spanish by reading Isabel Allende in the Spanish language. On Kindle, it's easier because of the built in dictionaries that help a lot. I'd also love to visit Spain again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvee, that's impressive! I took German language in college but didn't have a lot of chance to use it when I traveled. Spanish would come in handy in my state. Spain was amazing but I don't have a valid passport anymore :-(

      Delete
  7. That sounds like some good reading for a rainy day. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joy. There is always a stack of good books here!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like some interesting books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mark. Hope you are feeling better now!

      Delete
  9. I will be eager to read your review of Trust!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia, so far it's all verbiage and no dialogue. Interesting though.

      Delete
  10. This sounds like heaven: On this rainy day in north Florida I am working on book lists, baking bread and reading.

    What kind of bread did you bake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, I liked lists and will enjoy reading yours. Others give me ideas. I made a honey wheat loaf for toasting and soup dipping!

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

Fall reading and list making

First off, a shout out to ShelleyRae at Book'd Out .  I haven't seen you post in a while, you've been in my thoughts and I miss ...