Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Forgotten on Sunday by Valérie Perrin



Let's start with this - I would like to say that if you plan on reading one of Perrin's novels, my opinion is to start with Fresh Water for Flowers or Three.  I liked those books much better but that's my personal opinion. Links for those books take you to my Goodreads page.

For a great review check out the NPR link HERE.

What I didn't know, and it came as a complete surprise to me, is this is her first published novel.  It came out in 2015!   Last year I particpated in August's event Women in Translation and read Fresh Water for Flowers.  That was my introduction to Perrin. When I saw Forgotten on Sunday was to be published in June I assumed this was a brand new novel. So I preordered it.  * It was newly translated by Hildegarde Serle.

There are two main stories here which go back and forth between present day and WW II. The setting is mostly Milly France.

Here's the run down without spoilers.

 Justine Neige is the narrator; she works at a care home as an assistant, taking care of the old people.  She and her cousin Jules live with their grandparents as their parents died in an automoble accident when they were only 4 years old. (revealtions about that later)  Jules is about to leave for Paris and attend university.  Twenty-one year old Justine prefers to work at the old folks home and listen to the stories the residents share with her instead of seeking other employment, escaping the small town of Milly.

The WW II time period features the story of Hélène and Lucian and I liked that timeline/story very much.  In present day Justine takes care of the almost 100 year old Hélène and loves hearing her stories, especially the ones about Lucian as a young man and how their life progressed.

There is quite a bit going on and in the last 20% of the book, things coming together in both time periods.


6 comments:

  1. I never read WW II books but I might make an exception for this, it sounds really good! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I am very fond of this author and look forward to more in translation.

      Delete
  2. I'm a bit confused. So this book was published in 2015 and now is reappearing in the States? Oh. that's good to know. I'm midway into the audiobook of Fresh Water for Flowers and not sure yet what I think but I need to keep going. It seems she likes various threads in her fiction and has a bit going on. It's good you've read all three. She reminds a little of the other French author Anne Berest who wrote the novel The Postcard. Hmm. just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I think I will edit this post and explain as I can see why it's confusing. Her books were only published in French and popular in Europe. Once Fresh Water for Flowers was translated, she gained a new audience and following. Then the title Three was translated and well received. That's why I (and I'm sure anyone else) would think the announcement of Forgotten on Sunday was new.

      I hope you enjoy it but, my personal opinion, her books do seem to have multiple scenarios and characters so I'm not sure audio would be as easy following the plot(s). Thanks for mentioning Anne Berest and The Postcard. I am certinly going to look for that!

      Delete
  3. I will see if I can find Fresh Water for Flowers. Books in translation are sometimes hard for me to find. I think I might be able to get it as an ebook if I get on a waiting list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I found it on sale for Kindle ages ago and our library didn't have any of her work. As soon as I ordered this book, and prepaid, the library finally ordered it! Our library also has inter library loan and that's great as they borrow it for me and I don't pay :-)

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

June books and flowers

  Reading and plants The caladiums were a surprise in two ways.  Last year they were stunning but died off when we had temps below 40 F/3C. ...