Friday, August 16, 2024

A Girl Returned by Donatella Di Pietrantonio #WIT

I just finished my first book this month for the Women in Translation project.  I'd hoped to read another translated book but I did not plan well.  Here is my reading buddy Loki keeping me company.


A Girl Returned is a heartfelt story about a thirteen year old girl who suddenly finds out her mother is actually her aunt.  It gets worse when she is deposited in a run down home, introduced with zero fanfare to her birth mother and natural siblings.

Apparently she had been living with her aunt since she was an infant, believing this to be her natural mother.  She had a good life near the sea, friends at school, activities, love  and solitude. Her new home is hectic and financially insecure.  Her first meal at a table with her mother, father, two brothers and a sister was chaos as hands were flying across the table to grab food. Talk about culture shock.

Her sister Adriana was a blessing to her as they became devoted to one another.

I felt very sorry for her when she bought herself a birthday pastry and a little candle, then secreted herself in a room and quietly sang happy birthday. No one remembered, no one knew. 

A great revelation near the end as to why her aunt gave her up then returned her back to her birth mother came as a surprise.  This story is told roughly twenty years in the future by the girl who is never called by name. 

This book was first published in 2017 in Italian and is now available translated by Ann Goldstein.  I read this for the Women in Translation August event.  I have rounded to 3.5 stars and would read more by this author.  Adding it to my summer reading list as well.


I'm with Jinjer, I wish there was a Linky party to join in for the Women in Translation month.  Perhaps next year someone will do that.  I have never been able to figure out the link parties setup or I would volunteer to host :-)  

How is your summer reading going?  My list has fluctuated from my original list but I will get to those titles this year.

22 comments:

  1. I may get a copy, now I'm wanting to know why she was with her aunt and what happened when she was returned to her birth mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it's a short book. I can tell you about it if you'd rather :-)

      Delete
    2. That's very nice of you, but I already put it on hold at my library.

      Delete
  2. I would be glad to show you how to set up a linky party before next year's event, if you would like to host. It's not difficult, and it's so much fun to be able to easily see what others are reading during the event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I may take you up on that and do a practice run link party to be sure I won't disappoint anyone! Thank you kindly.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely! Holler at me when you are ready.

      Delete
  3. I have this book on my kindle and, even though it's pretty short, I doubt I'll get to it this month. I don't know how to do a link post, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I may try and learn about the link thing. Hoping to read everything I want to this month as Covid has hit us :-(

      Delete
    2. Oh, no Tina... I'm so sorry you got Covid! Hope you both have mild cases. Take care of yourselves and get plenty of rest!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much. Doug a rough couple of days and now I am getting the onslaught of coughing and aches. I am about to go back to sleep or maybe watch a movie until I fall asleep. Yuck. Thanks for your good wishes!

      Delete
  4. Just finished a book in translation from Italian, but by male authors. I do like Italian books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely review of this book! I hope someone that does Mr Linky or some of the other link apps can write a post about how to create a party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a helpful post and as soon as I am well I will get help from Deb on creating linky.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry you have COVID, Tina! But at least you have Loki for a reading and snuggle buddy! I fully support you as next year's host of WITMonth. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jinjer. We avoided it for four years but man...it packs a punch. Loki was indeed an excellent companion. He likes sleeping -) Thanks for the encouragement for the WIT next year!

      Delete
  7. It sounds really sad but interesting. Might read it. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, can't imagine being in that situation nor doing that to a child!

      Delete
  8. Yea Loki. So good to see her. But she seems disinterested in the book. I feel sad just hearing that the girl was returned ... and that she liked her home where she was. That situation would be very disorienting and destabilizing. A Women in Translation month would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Loki was a good reading companion but otherwise doesn't show interest in books :-)

      Delete
  9. This looks interesting and heartbreaking and has me curious about what all is going on. The birthday scene you described is so poignant.

    ReplyDelete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting 😀

Fall reading and list making

First off, a shout out to ShelleyRae at Book'd Out .  I haven't seen you post in a while, you've been in my thoughts and I miss ...