Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Working on Trust and Sipsworth from my reading list
{and preparing for hurricane Helene}

Earlier this month we had my husband's birthday and some surprisingly nice weather.  He has been able to get out with his solar telescope in the daytime and a few evening sessions with his other scope.  Perfect.  

Now we are prepping for Hurricane Helene.  Getting the Kindle, phones, etc all charged for the loss of electricty. 

My week has been a dermatologist appointment, biopsy, bread making and a slow cooker recipe my son sent. The excitement never ends :-)

While looking at a news story on my phone I saw there was an Instagram post embedded and I couldn't access it.  So I dusted off my old Instagram account to have a look.  Then I tried to follow a few book blogs and authors.  Apparently you have to get permission now even if the accounts are public. 


Currently reading Trust and while very well written it's more narrative than dialogue. Thus I took a short break to read Sipsworth.  I finished this in a day and it's a sweet story.  Helen Cartwright is in her eighties and returned to England to live out her last years quietly and alone.

She had a full life in Australia with her husband and son but they are gone now.  She isn't ill but she knows at her age the end is coming.  Without friends or family she decides to settle in the English neighborhood where she grew up over 60 years ago.  Helen finds that life still has a few surprises for her.

Simon Van Booy is an author new to me. He grew up in rural Wales and currently lives in New York, writing and volunteering as an E.M.T.  I will seek out more of his work.



Once I finish Trust I am starting Long Island by Colm Tรณibรญn.
All three of these books are on my fall reading list.  Has anyone else read books by Simon Van Booy and if so, recommendations?  I hope you have nice weather and good reading.

 Sharing with:


๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ“š

6 comments:

  1. At my age, I enjoy reading books about older people. I haven't read anything else by Simon Van Booy. Maybe I should look for more by him, too.

    I have loved the majority of the books I've read for the Classics Club. It helped me to make a long list of possibilities (my list I laughingly call "my list of books to read before I die"), a list I am constantly adding to and deleting from, and to focus on reading what sounds especially promising. I use all the wonderful tools out there that help me get through really challenging books---versions that have been abridged, audiobooks, synopses of chapters, graphic novel versions of the book. There are some great lists on the Classics Club blog that helped me shape my own list of books. Honestly, for me, it helps me to focus on books I *want* to read, rather than trying to force myself to read books that I think I *should* read. And buddy-reads have helped me get through some especially tough books like War and Peace (whew!) and Moby Dick.

    You can see that I am passionate about the Classics Club, mainly because it's been such a good experience for me. If I can help, feel free to holler at me off-the-blog at debnance at gmail dot com anytime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I appreciate that comment very much and I will indeed call on you for help. You have made the Classics Club sound less intimidating than I had thought it was. That's one reason I tend to shy away from it.

      The latest from Matt Haig is also about an older woman, a widow, and I tried to start it but want to get others caught up on.

      Delete
  2. Oh no Helene. Ugh. Batten down the hatches. I hope the damage is not severe to your place. The Van Booy novel sounds like a good story ... but I have not read him. I didn't make it all the way through Trust when I tried a year or two ago ... but perhaps I should try again. Stay safe with Loki and your husband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, so far we are good. Bought ice and gas, the winds are not too severe now.
      The Van Booy style was appealing and I will look for more. Trust is harder to read. So much narrative but I am thinking by the end it will all come together - we will see!

      Delete
  3. Thinking of you today, Tina. Sanibel has had some minor flooding, but thankfully the tide is going out now as the storm is about even with us. Stay safe and check in with us when you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JoAnn. I hope the floodiing isn't too bad on Sanibel. Looks like it will be shifting a bit more east which is good for us ... but not for those east. We bought ice and filled two coolers and gas for a generator. Will update as it is supposed to bring us more rain and higher winds near 10:00.

      Delete

I’ve had use comment approval due to heavy spam. Sorry! But I check in daily. Thank you very much for visiting ๐Ÿ˜€

Working on Trust and Sipsworth from my reading list<br>{and preparing for hurricane Helene}</br>

Earlier this month we had my husband's birthday and some surprisingly nice weather.  He has been able to get out with his solar telescop...